Kost' Lavro (11.03.1961)
Kost' Lavro was born near near Dykanka in the Poltava region, a landscape made famous by Gogol’s short stories. He graduated from the Graphic Arts Faculty of the Ukrainian Academy of Book Printing and is a member of the Union of Artists of Ukraine.
Lavro, a Laureate of Ukraine’s Taras Shevchenko National Award, is a widely acclaimed master of contemporary Ukrainian book design. He is considered one of the most striking and colorful graphic artists in the country, practicing a unique, inimitable, and profound national style that combines the influences of the Ukrainian avant-garde of the 1920s and classic Ukrainian folk art.
Lavro’s work has been exhibited widely in international children’s book fairs such as in Bologna and Bratislava. As the leading artist of A-BA-BA-HA-LA-MA-HA, Lavro and his creative path has been inextricably linked with the establishment of our publishing house. His now classic and beloved images of rabbits and cats have delighted hundreds of thousands of children.
Lavro has attracted the attention of prestigious publishers worldwide and his books have been published in the United States, France, Switzerland, and other countries. He is a regular contributor to Pomme d’Api, France’s most popular children’s publication.
Published by A-BA-BA-HA-LA-MA-HA in Ukrainian:
- “Favorite Poems”, 1994, 2004, 2006, 2008 (Illustrated by K. Lavro, Victoria Kovalchuk, Kateryna Shtanko etc)
- “Favorite Poems. Vol. 2”, 2012 (Illustrated by Kateryna Shtanko, K. Lavro, Y. Grankovska, Ivan Sulyma etc)
- “100 Fairy Tales. Vol. 1”, 2005—2006, (Illustrated by K. Lavro, Vladyslav Yerko etc, The Best Children’s Book of the Year (2005 Book of the Year National Contest)
- “100 Fairy Tales. Vol. 2”, 2006—2008, (Illustrated by Kateryna Shtanko, Vladyslav Yerko, K. Lavro, Victoria Palchun etc)
- “100 Fairy Tales. Vol. 3”, 2012, (Illustrated by Kateryna Shtanko, Vladyslav Yerko, K. Lavro, Oleh Petrenko-Zanevsky etc)
- “The ABC”, 1999 The Best Children’s Book of the Year (1999 Book of the Year National Contest)
- Ivan Malkovych: “The Christmas Glove”, 2002
- “Mr. Catsky”, 1997, 2005
- Mykola Gogol: “The Night Before Christmas”, 2005, 2007, (The Best children’s book of the year (2006 Book of the Year National Contest, 1st award in the children’s nomination of “The Book Art-2007” Contest, Moscow (Russia)
- "The Cat and the Rooster (Ukr. edition)" "Казка про котика та півника", 2008
- “The Children’s Gospel”, 2009
- Mykola Vinhranovsky: “Duckling, Cossack Petro Mamaryha (double book)”, 2011
Published by international Publishers (Copyright of "A-BA-BA-HA-LA-MA-HA")
- "The Cat and the Rooster", Alfred A.Knopf (U.S.A), 1995
- Le Carnaval, Сalligram (Switzerland), 1998
- Le grand livre du Loup, Bayard Poche (France), 1999